Monday, February 22, 2010
Gratitude
A sweet friend of mine lost her three-year battle with cancer today. She was 31. Her children are 6, 4, and 2. I miss her, but she has taught me so much. Why is it that our friends and loved ones who pass away end up teaching us so much? Why can't we learn the same lessons without the tragedy of death? My friend was in a lot of pain and struggled so much physically during these past few months. It is truly a blessing she has been relieved of the burden her body was to her, but now it feels so hard to have her gone. And I am only just her friend -- not her husband, or her child, or her sibling. I want to remember this empty, sad grief, however, so I can remember to be grateful for the life I have. In the most mundane times, I want to remember to be grateful I am present and able to experience all the peaks and valleys of life, in honor of a life cut short. I am grateful for each blessing in my life and hope to be forever touched by the life of my friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
What a great reminder of how blessed we are in so many ways. I'm forever thankful to call you my friend. Best to you always and much, much aloha. :)
wow, so sad. it really makes me stop and think how much i love my life and my girls- even on a bad day.
So sorry for your loss! Good job at looking at the "good news" though!!! ;) Love ya!
So true, thanks for sharing.
I am so sorry to hear that. That does just break my heart! You are amazing. Take care of you and your great fam.
Yes I wonder the same 'why's'? I'm so very sorry Nellie for the loss of your friend. I'll be praying for you and for her family.
We have also been feeling the panges of loss. Our dear friends here lost their SECOND child in Jan. after he fell from a chair and hit his head. I have also thought about why is it that someone must suffer for so many of us to learn. I feel like right now I am changed and more fully convicted BUT will I still be this way in a month, a year? I certainly do not want anyone else to suffer so I can learn! My prayers are with you and your friends.
PS! OH! I remember meeting her in NC. She stopped by breifly when we were there visiting. Oh my... so sad. She seemed so AMAZING in those few mintutes I was in her presence.
I hate cancer. I HATE cancer, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs.
Beautifully said!
Post a Comment