Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Big Island


CB/Chris and I had a great time last week in Kona. I LOVE Hawaii, no matter what island! I have never actually been to Big Island, but it was fabulous. Chris had a conference, of course, (which he went to about one hour of) so we took advantage of the research budget and I tagged along! There were lots of days at the beach, looking for coral and enjoying the blue water, reading and snorkeling, but I am not about to post any pictures of me in a bathing suit on this blog, so you'll have to use your imagination. :)





Kilauea, the worlds only active volcano -- pretty cool (and cold!)



The highlight of the trip was seeing our friends, the Vuniwais. They live in Waikoloa, and Vili took time out of his busy day to take us surfing. Well, Chris and Vili surfed, I just paddled around on the paddle board. I know, I'm a wimp, but the place we went was reefy, and I was not at all interested in getting pounded and cut up. The surf was pretty mild, but still. Oh, and then there were the sea urchins that you had to watch out for . . . I wish I could remember the word Vili called them. Apparently they are really vicious. (glad I didn't find out!) Thank goodness Vili brought booties! It was our favorite day, by far, and then later that night we met up and went to sushi with he and Amanda. We couldn't have asked for better company! Thanks, again, guys!
The trip was so much fun -- and Jess, who took care of the kids, was amazing! My tupperware cabinet has never looked so good, and neither has my fridge! Seriously, she couldn't have been better, and we are so grateful! It is great to get away, and then great to come home! Hopefully we don't have to wait another 5 years before we get back.
ALOHA!

9 comments:

Sarajane said...

sounds so fun. i might have to start saving up for the next time the ADA has a conference there, so i can go with Rob.

Anonymous said...

Aloha! Wow, what a great trip and get away for you and CB. There is nothing like a trip with no kids and to a place where you can just play!
Are you going to Montreal for Academy this summer? It would be so fun to be there together........

birdie said...

SO fun! love the pics, and what a great excuse for a fabulous trip for you two!

Tisha said...

what a fun trip!! glad you guys were able to get away- I'm sure it was amazing to have a week w/o kids! such a well deserved break!

Emily S. said...

Wow that sounds amazing! So glad you had a chance to get away. You both look awesome - haven't changed a bit!

Kris said...

You so lucky! What a great trip for you!

Airi said...

Can't believe you were sooo close and we couldn't meet up! Next time come on over to Diamond Head to paddle board with me...we have two of them and try to go out as often as we can(on the weekends). Glad you had a nice time with your husband...it's nice to have a break without the kids sometimes. We've gotta meet up one of these days! Keep that in mind!!

Alan said...

Hawaii again? Who did you get to watch your kids? :)

J-Lo said...

Isn't the big island great? David and I went twice while we were at Stanford and LOVED that it wasn't as "touristy" as the other islands. Takes a while to get place b/c after all it is...BIG:) So glad you had a retreat. As far as bathing suit pics, you've got nothin' to hide, sister. If you've got it, flaunt it:)