Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Birthdays

What is it about birthdays that delight and disappoint all at the same time? Is it the marking of another year, coupled with un-met expectations, or just the idea that the day should be special and yet it is the same as any other day? Today was my birthday, and it was great to have so many comments on the blog, facebook messages (which I would totally not remember to look at if I didn't get emails from it), and phone calls. It was terrific to be remembered and to have the kids say multiple times throughout the day "Happy Birthday, Mom," or if you are George, " Happy Boatday." These are great things, indeed. It was, however, pretty ordinary, except for the lovely breakfast CB/Chris made for me before he needed to leave. That was great, and I don't want to sound like it wasn't great. I have so much to be grateful for, and have a full, fun life. But the rest of the day was visiting teaching, preschool, naps, 2 precious hours of quiet time, school pick up, dance for S and lacrosse for D. A normal Tuesday around here. I was welcomed home from Lacrosse by yummy brownies and ice cream, and more candles than I care to count, which was great. Really fun. And so, another birthday passes until next year -- a great milestone that leaves me feeling grateful for this life I have -- 36 years after my birth, and optimistic for hopefully at least 36 more years to come!

9 comments:

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

I think you mixed up the 3 for a 2... 26th Birthday not 36th silly. J/K! But really it is hard to believe that you are nearing 40 (not to remind you)! At the same time it makes me happy to think maybe with a little luck I will look as fabulous and hip as you at 36!!!! Xoxo, L

Julianne said...

Does a mom ever get a break? No not even for a birthday! Life keeps on going, rain or shine. What a full and wonderful life you have, I've always admired your ability to enjoy it. Happy Birthday!

Emily S. said...

Sorry I missed it! Happy Birthday - you deserve a little celebration!

Katie Hendrickson said...

Happy B-day, Nell! Woo-hoo!! It's your b-day; Go Nellie; It's your b-day! I know what you mean.

Emily said...

Happy Birthday! You don't look a day over 25! :) I too am loving stalking you on your blog! I love hearing your thoughts. You are so funny.

eryn said...

Congrats on the great offer! I'm glad to hear that you are moving to a warmer climate. Here's hoping that your house sells right away. That can be stressful. Sorry about the London trip:(

birdie said...

yay, Nellie!! Sorry to be such a slacker sista in law. I'm glad the bday was an overall success.

You're right - it's just another day, but don't you love how it's still different from the rest, simply because it's your very own special one!

Love to you and to the rest of the crew!

Krista Lou Cook said...

Something I learned long ago..... A great birthday comes from inside! Make yourself queen for the day, and don't give in! Oh and... Happy belated Birthday! :)

queenieweenie said...

Right behind ya baby, right behind ya! I only enjoy by birthday if I'm out of town. Go figure.