Let me explain. We had a few things to get at Target - not a huge spree by any stretch. We have been there for no more than 20 minutes when he starts to melt down telling me I am taking too long and have too many things in the cart. I have only a couple more things to get, I reassure him, yet he still is whiny. "I'm tired, Mom!" over and over and over. Meanwhile, I am wondering just what he is tired from -- he doesn't have to pee 3-6 times per night, is riding in the cart, and probably doesn't feel like his pubic bone is splitting in two. Seriously. But, despite all this, I resist the urge to get really mad, take a deep breath and ignore this craziness. Then the check out comes and there is a full-blown tantrum over me not letting him get a treat. Are you kidding me? A treat? Even if I wanted to, I know I can't give in to such behavior. So, even in my sleep-deprived state, I ignore him. I feel rather proud of my ability to be patient, actually. More deep breaths. We make it to the car, and home in record time (we live really close -- we could walk if I weren't so darn sore . . .). I send him to his room to calm down while I unload and put away the few things we got. Give him lunch, and take him up to his room for a nap. And he stayed. And he's sleeping.
Ok, this picture was actually taken at night, but you get the idea. (He sleeps in this position all the time, by the way. We think it's hilarious.)
Now I am sitting here worrying that he is really sick, or something. Maybe he still has Lyme disease, or the dreaded piggy flu, though not likely. Or, maybe, he knows he is about to be seriously de-throned as the youngest around here. Who knows . . . all I know right now is that it is really quiet . . . I wonder how long I should let him sleep . . .
9 comments:
Nellie, I started going to a chiropractor who specializes in maternity and pediatric care and it has really helped that pubic bone splitting in two feeling as well as the stiff right lower back and other back pain as well. You might find it worth investigating. I'm now a total believer that back pain and pubic bone pain, while common, is not a normal part of pregnancy. It feels great to walk without pain, although I still get tired and sore after walking around too long. Hope George is well and just tired. Sometimes they really do just need to sleep.
I have to comment and say how CUTE your little guy looks AND how much he reminds me of my Luke. You are strong to not give in to the 'treat'. Luke threw a fit the other day for a glass blown thingy used to put in your plant to water it at Bed, bath and beyond. I was horrified and luckily had oldest w/ me to pick him off the floor since my preggo body cannot any longer. Hang in there w/ the pain, I too get it bad down there at the end. Too chicken to try a chiro but hear they do help many a pregnant women. And the last thing I will say at the end of my novel here --I love your Easter pic's and the new header one of all the kids. It will be so SWEET to see your little adorable newborn in the midst of them!
I wish Jules would take naps. I know she needs them but she just never gives up unless we go on a drive. How's the name game going?
I love that pose - what a sweetie. I am impressed with your patience, pregnant and all - WOW!
Hopefully he isn't sick just resting up for the upcoming excitement!
You are at #5 and your body has to adjust for the 5th time into "birth mode" and it doesn't get any easier...at least it didn't for me. I seriously did not want to walk at all because of the pain...and unfortunately it continues until you give birth. But...it's ALL worth it!!
Oh, and you are sure doing a great job being a patient mommy...I think this is all a part of making us appreciate what we have and love our children even in times of STRESS!
Thorley - I SO totally understand your pain and your patience! I never tried a Chiro, but wish I could have. Keep on enduring! I have to laugh at your little guy - we're going through the same thing with our 6 year old right now, only it's been a full week of him having melt downs and then crashing. I'm hoping growth spurt. Good luck and keep on being the great mom you are!!
been there, my friend, and for now - i have DONE that. I am so done right now - if not for good.
other than the bodily pains, how are you doing?
I hope you were also sleep-deprived enough to not care if anyone was giving you the "make your child stop screaming" glare:) Sorry you're so uncomfortable.
do you think it was swine flu?
hang in there girl...the last part is the worst (as you WELL know).
thinking of you!
Post a Comment