Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Yesterday my friend Jenny decided to hang out since both our husbands are out of town. It was actually a pretty relaxing day, all in all, because the weather was nice and we just hung out here at home. The most exciting event, however, was the discovery of this fat toad in our yard. I wish I had video footage of all the kids trying to catch it -- it was hysterical, really. The toad would jump and everyone would scream like they were going to be killed, especially Daisy. And she can really scream. Finally I had to take matters into my own hands and just catch the poor thing so they could all stop waking the dead with their screams. Yes, I grabbed the toad and then the kids finally got the courage to touch and then hold it. This poor toad endured it all quite well -- he even went down the slide a few times. They were finally pursuaded to let the poor thing go after dinner, although the toad isn't too bright because they found him in the exact same place this morning and are out torturing the poor thing some more today. Who needs a nanny? Toads are MUCH cheaper! (Linda, this might be just what you need!!!)


7 comments:

birdie said...

Nice!! I used to see toads smashed absolutely flat in the road when I'd take walks in North Carolina - something for you and the kiddos to look forward to :)

Looks like a friendly enough guy!

linda said...

wow - we only find rats and mice in our yard!

Krista Lou Cook said...

That is so hilarious!!! I found one in the pool yesterday too, and if I was not with a baby I think I would have been just as excited!!!! And why is it that they do not jump away? Do you think they get too petrified with fear that it takes them that long to get going again? Or maybe they are just that stupid....

guthriegang said...

it was a great day! thanks for living in the "country" so we can get out of the "city" and catch things like toads! it was hysterical!

J-Lo said...

I guess now that I'm going to have a little boy I better get used to chasing frogs and other critters. Louisiana has some gnarly looking creatures, though. I'll just have to make sure they're not poisonous before junior gets his hands on them:) Is that Jenny Guthrie that was visiting? Please tell her I said, "hi!"

amber said...

you are one brave momma. all that toad-terror is character building for the kids, right?

Team Fellows said...

Nellie,

So fun to hear from you and find your blog. I'm so out of it, I didn't even know that Linda had a blog. Your kids are so cute! My brother and his family moved to N. Carolina two years ago and they love it! We visited them in May and we fell in love with it too. I hope your house sells soon, so that you can head down there and buy one of the many gorgeous homes they have there.
I love the blogs because it allows me to reconnect with some fun people like yourself! I hope you have a happy week!
Love,
Becky