It has been more than ten years since I have had to have any dental work done. Ten blissful years that all came to an end recently with some newly discovered cavities. Talk about torture! Forget water-boarding, the US government should just send persons of interest to the dentist and they'll be talking! (before they are numb, of course --) I found myself actually fantasizing about living in an under-developed country where dentistry didn't exist -- who cares if your teeth are healthy if you're worried about putting food on the table? And in my mind I was truly envious of other poor souls who don't even have healthy teeth on their radar. There are plenty more important things to worry about than teeth without cavities! If you're a dentist you'll have a different opinion. That's right -- you'll insist that your patient has five, that's right, FIVE cavities to be filled. Two on the right, three on the left. He will then proceed to book two separate appointments for the torture to begin. Oh, the numbing, oh the drilling . . . oh the scraping, curing, rinsing and sucking . . . I don't know how I endured such torture. The sound of the shrill drill was enough to send me over the edge, and I am not trying to be ironic here!
And, as if the sheer torture of it all were not enough, when you are finished and your tongue and cheek feel like lead, they politely send you to the front desk and then ask you to pay something like $247, and that's only 20%. So it feels like you have not only been tortured, but then asked to pay for it, too.
I find it quite intolerable.
post script:
I have a wonderful brother-in-law who is a dentist. I am sure he is the kindest, most gentle dentist in the world. If you live in the Ogden/SLC area, you should for sure go to him. Really. I would if I lived anywhere near him -- at least my 20% would be going to pay for his lovely wife and daughters' food and shelter, and hopefully some really frivilous, fun things too. And I am sure he never asks annoying questions when you are all numbed up with 16 things protruding from your wedged-open mouth. Leave me a comment if you want his name . . .
9 comments:
Ha!Ha!Ha! I just went to a teeth cleaning today and was thinking similar thoughts about torture, etc. And that was for healthy teeth! Sorry you had to have cavities fixed! Uggghhh! I grow less tolerant of pain with each passing year. The hygienist was NOT gentle today.
this made me laugh- not because you have to be tortured, but because I feel the same way. I hate having any work done on my teeth.
Thanks for the nice things about Ro. I wish that he was making $ like that, I think things are different here in UT- too many dentists and insurance companies means lower prices and less take home pay. but i am not complaining. we have a good life and a lot of school debt:)
The last time I had to go in- I watched a moive while they worked.They have these great little glasses you put on and watch a movie and headphoes, it made things much better- but still not my idea of good time.
I totally agree! My wonder is two fold...why can't they do it all on one day...the equipments already out...my mouth is already open! AND why doesn't the office visit co-pay cover BOTH appointments?! 8th wonder of the world! ;)
I don't hate dentists but I hate going to the dentist with a passion! I also went years without having a cavity (like my whole life) and BOOM - 6 within the last year and a half. What's up?! I can say that would rather go to the OBGYN than the dentist. It's true!
Sorry you had to go through the torture!
No wonder we have one of the highest suicide rates in the nation. Man! But thanks for the nice post script Nellie.
-Rob
Oh, your post made me cringe! I can hear the drill and the smell and everything. I agree, I would rather go to the OB/GYN any day over the dentist. So sorry you had to go through that.
I showed William a tooth of mine last week and he said, "That's not a tooth, Mom, that's a cavity" because the tooth is like one giant filling!! Too many cavities and too many bad dental experiences!
Oh, your post made me cringe! I can hear the drill and the smell and everything. I agree, I would rather go to the OB/GYN any day over the dentist. So sorry you had to go through that.
I showed William a tooth of mine last week and he said, "That's not a tooth, Mom, that's a cavity" because the tooth is like one giant filling!! Too many cavities and too many bad dental experiences!
Sorry to hear that Nellie! I did not have any cavities until I turned 33. OMG! The pain! I had no clue. Something about having stuff done in your face - I gladly give birth again w/ no medication! ;) Hope this will be all for the next ten years! Nicole
Post a Comment