Thursday, January 14, 2010

Getting Better



Some things just get better with age. Like cheese, and wine (they say), and cookie baking with my kids.



Tonight the girls went with CB/Chris to Activity days/Young Women/Young Men and left the boys home with me. They were not at all happy about this, which I am used to because all of our children prefer CB/Chris (aka Dad) to me. And I am totally fine with that. Really I am -- most of the time I prefer him to them, too, so we're even! :)



Anyway, I digress . . . So tonight, the boys and I made cookies. And the boys did most of the work. George stirred, which means half the flour ended up on the counter, and Henry made them into balls and dipped them in sugar. (They were peanut butter cookies.) And then there was the highly popular fork smashing before baking. It was really fun, and the whole time I was thinking that I never really let the girls make this much of a mess when they were smaller. I was far too worried about the mess, instead of the fun. And, while I am certain I will be crunching in sugar for the next couple of days, despite my best efforts to mop it up, I am grateful that in cookie making, I have gotten better with age. Not perfect by any means, but better. And it was fun.


And it's about time!

5 comments:

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

I liked that post. Those boys are getting so big. G-man is such a goof with that cheesey smile. Love them... love them lots!

Sarajane said...

so true. i always think, 'no please don't help with the baking Jules,' but then i realize that it will be ok to make a mess together and more fun to have her around- just takes more time. why do i worry about things taking a long time anyway?

thanks for posting.

Mary Sunshine said...

Great post. Gives me hope that I'll get better with age too!

Anonymous said...

Oh so true! I'm waiting for the "commercial moment" when we can make rice krispy treats without having to get the jack hammer out of the garage to get what we missed on the floor OFF the floor! I loved what you said about preferring Dad...we have the same situation at our home!

birdie said...

i agree with sj - why do always feel like something takes too much time?

maybe cause it starts to drive me CRAZY when em wants to stir the oj for like 10 min - all the while sloshing it all over the counter and floor.

i'm trying to mellow out these days, so i appreciate the reminder. btw, your kitchen looks super clean even when it's messy!