Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Good Morning, Baltimore!

Today we needed an outing, so we headed to Baltimore. This is a great view of the Inner Harbor from Federal Hill, a park on a hill (duh) across from downtown Baltimore. We hadn't been there before, and while the park isn't anything to write home about, the view was, and there was free parking in the neighborhood there, so that was a bonus! We even saw our friends the Guthries there -- a fun surprise, since they are the only family we know that lives in the city.



A War of 1812 cannon that Henry thinks is a play structure. (George is ready to blast him to Baltimore.)

On the way to the harbor, we couldn't pass by this merry-go-round without riding, of course.


Then I got suckered into taking the kids on the Duck tour -- the ultra-touristy, cheesy ride that pretty much any city near water has nowadays. It was pretty cool to just be able to ride by some attractions like Edgar Allen Poe's grave, or the first ever monument to George Washington, and to then drive right in to the bay and see the city from the water. My Mom and I (she's visiting, or else I don't think I would have even gone into the city today) got a bit antsy, especially when we were in traffic for 20 minutes, but the driver just kept turning up disco songs, so the kids were loving blowing their obnoxious duck whistles to the beat of the songs. Good times. I'm sure you can hear the duck noise now . . .

Mom and the kids on the Duck tour extraordinaire.

10 comments:

birdie said...

Yay!! I was wondering where you had taken off to. I thought perhaps your house had sold and you were packing. Good thoughts that I'm sure will be happening very shortly!

Looks like you guys had so much fun w/ your madre - how fun to have her (and Kate) for a little visit.

Emily S. said...

Wow - it sounds like you have been busy having tons of fun! I always wished I spent more time in Baltimore. It seems like a really great city.

queenieweenie said...

How cool to experience all those things with your kids. You're close to so much fun stuff! I just have the beach. NO, I'm not complaining.

I love the new pic on your header. Too cute kiddos!

J-Lo said...

I don't blame you for saving the outing until you had back-up reserves. And yes, I can almost hear the duck whistles now:)

Meredith said...

Bingham family. My blog stalking skills really have paid off and have discovered my wonderful family is all over this blogging business. Look forward to keeping in touch electronically! Love you very much!

Michele said...

How fun! I have been on one of those Duck adventures and the kids just love it. It is fun to see the other Kate. I'm sure your kids just loved having her visit.
Your kids are so CUTE by the way.

Anonymous said...

So fun to have amazing field trips right in your back yard! Looks like fun. I am jealous of the Kate nanny. Do you think she would like to spend her summers on the Bingham circuit? Kind of like going on tour for a few months??

Krista Lou Cook said...

OK is it just me, or did your kids seem to grow overnight! I love the new header photo!

the design boss said...

Wow!! That is an amazing view!! I have never been on one of those duck tours. I am sure the kids were in heaven!!

Sarajane said...

what a fun city. I have a similar photo of me sitting on one of those cannons.