Monday, February 18, 2008

Henry's leg

So, Henry broke his leg on the trampoline on Saturday -- such a bummer. It figures, though because I was out enjoying some much needed alone time when I got the call: "I think Henry broke his leg." (I think CB/Chris knew I was about to enter the DSW Shoe Warehouse!) I met him at the ER and after some waiting, x-rays, and more waiting, this was the result:



Today, we waited 2.5 hours at the Orthopod's office, (with all 4 kids) the result of which is the lovely green cast below. The black shoe thing is in case he decides to walk on it (he won't), and we almost became the proud owners of a small walker, but he wouldn't use it there, so I decided not to clutter our already cluttered basement with yet another unused item. Apparently kids his age don't have the upper-body strength to use crutches, I was told quite forcefully by the PT, but I think the only one developing upper-body strength (and a backache) is me, from carrying him everywhere. Even as I write this post, he is calling me to carry him to another, more desireable place in the house. I am really wishing for the pathetic little walker now!

Hopefully after a week or so, he will be bored enough (and maybe I won't be so quick to respond to his calls) to try to move on his own. It should be interesting . . . but for now, he still has my total sympathy. "It's not fun to have a broken leg, Mom," he sadly told me yesterday out of the blue. I think he is absolutely correct.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nellie,
First of all, I am loving being able to look at your blog!
Second of all, how sad for Henry and for you! I feel your pain. It has been almost one year since William broke his leg. He NEVER figured out how to walk on it. He did however, figure out how to pull himself along the floor - - think Dirty Rotten Scoudrels! It gave me such sympathy for people who have severly handicapped children. Very hard to carry them everywhere (especially going out to stores, etc) and to keep them occupied.
Good luck! I'm sure this week will be the hardest while he is adjusting to his new circumstance and still in pain.
xoxox,

Nellie said...

Amy!! I am so glad you found me! I was a rather reluctant blogger, but it is a good way to keep up with people, and is cheaper than online shopping, my other computer hobby. I really hope H learns to walk in another week or so. I don't think I even remember William having a broken leg -- when was it? Thanks for the good wishes! XOXO

birdie said...

So sad! But I like the green cast. If you have to have a cast, why not green I always say.

I agree with you about the little walker. Not so pathetic now, huh?!

Tell him we love him (and we love you for carrying him around:)

Come visit! Check your email

Emily S. said...

Poor Henry! I hope he doesn't continue this trend of major injuries! Poor guy! And poor you too :-)

Sarajane said...

that would not be fun at all, good thing he has you and your UB strength. Write your 100 list, see my blog.

eryn said...

I'm am so sad for your little guy. I'm glad you've documented this, though. Love the green! His choice?

the design boss said...

I am so sorry! It always happens when you are doing something for you!